I know I said that I wouldn’t be making biscuits again – they seemed a lot of effort for nothing very exciting, and took up a lot of ingredients for a small return, but that was before I came across a recipe which changed my mind. So I gave it a go and the result was delicious. Too delicious in fact…. I’m staying out of the kitchen today!
- 200g caster sugar
- 200g Flora (plant spread)
- 320g plain flour
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 1 level tsp baking powder
- jam/curd etc for filling
- Cream together the fat and sugar
- Add all the other ingredients (except jam) and mix to a stiff dough
- Roll into little balls and space out on a lined baking tray. The quantity of ingredients made 40 – some to eat, some to give away
- Make an indent with a teaspoon (though they are called thumbprint cookies for a reason) and fill with a spot of jam or curd
- Bake at 160 for about 15 minutes or until lightly coloured
Filling – I used raspberry jam, lemon curd and mincemeat (which I always think far too nice to save just for Christmas). Don’t overfill as it oozes out.