Too many of this year’s tomatoes haven’t ripened so I’ve been making chutney. It was very simple to do.
- 2lb green tomatoes – chopped
- 2lb Bramley apples -peeled and chopped
- 8oz sultanas
- 8oz shallots – chopped (I used frozen ones from Waitrose – defrost and drain off the liquid). You could use onions instead.
- 8oz soft brown sugar
- 24 fl. oz. malt vinegar
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 1 tablespoon mixed spice
- Heat vinegar and sugar until sugar is dissolved.
- Add all other ingredients
- Boil for 10 minutes
- Simmer for around 3 hours, stirring from time to time
- Check consistency by drawing a spoon across the centre. If liquid forms in the channel – simmer for longer
- Spoon into sterilised jars
- Leave in a cool dark place for 8 weeks before eating